Monday, September 17, 2007

Cradle Crap

I am fighting a pre-emptive war against the flakes on Nathaniel's skull...so far it is just dandruff but I live in mortal fear of it turning into cradle cap. Cradle cap makes me want to vomit. I have an obsession with the top of his head and inspect it with my "microscopes" (Iain's pet name for my eyes as I point out every blackhead on his face at night) on a regular basis. To date, it is probably one of my least favourite parts of him. This week he lost pretty much all of the hair on top of his head yet the hair on the sides and the back continued to grow, making him look more like a grumpy old man than ever. When he cries or sucks hard, the top pulsates in a way that makes me queasy and wonder if perhaps a creature is going to spawn out of his skull. Now the flakes-do they make Head and Shoulders for babies?

Other than that, he is pretty darn cute and this smiling thing is making me love the little snot bag more than I thought humanly possible. Iain is on duty tonight which means we won't see him until tomorrow, allowing Nathaniel and I to have our first night alone together, which in reality won't make my night much different. The myth of sharing baby duties 50/50 has flown out the window...I think it has goneto the same place as sharing the housework. Why are we so gullible?

2 comments:

Jules said...

aveeno baby moisturiser. the best thing i've found for cradle cap, heaven forbid the little guy gets it!!! Just put it all over his head after the bath and let it soak in all night/day whatever, then take a baby comb and comb his scalp, the dead skin just flakes off! It's great fun, I think you'll like it!

Laura said...

One thing that nurses told us at the hospital is to use a comb (we use what I call an old mans comb... a little black one) after you wash their hair and comb it back. It makes for interesting hair do's but Bridget is yet to get flakes. :)