Tuesday, October 30, 2007

More Good Books

I finished off my CBC backpack of books from Carolyn Nielsen (thank-you!!) and the last book I read was great and it lead to an even better book. The first one is a collection of related short stories that take place in an apartment building in India by Rohinton Mistry called Tales From Firozsha Baag. After I was done that, I got A Fine Balance which is the book that I think made him famous-he won the Giller and was shortlisted for the Booker and the IMPAC Dublin Literary Award among many others (in other words, I am not the only one who loved it). I am still reading it (it's over 700 pages) and it is wonderful. If you have ever had any interest in India, want to laugh, feel horrible, feel grateful for living in Canada, realize prejudices of your own that you never even knew you had-read this book. Plus he is Canadian and we have absolutely amazing writers in this country and we should support them.

I am so glad I am on a kick of reading wonderful books-I went for quite a few months reading only so-so ones which always depresses me.

Plus the cover of this book is so cool, I have spent a fair amount of time gazing at it. When you are lugging this book around for the week or so it takes to read, it is a good conversation starter.

So go out and buy it and read it. Or ask for it for Christmas.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hee hee.....now i see it!!!! oh, you only wish you were as cool as carolyn!!!

The Dean's said...

I loved that book too!