Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Let Freedom Ring

Every year that I have been a teacher, I have always done a unit on the Civil Rights Movement. It is something that has touched me deeply since I was old enough to understand it. The kids are always passionate about it and are so angry at how Black people have been and still are treated - it gives you hope for the future.

I went to bed too early to see the results of the American election last night but when the alarm went off this morning, I waited and hoped. The first words out of the announcers mouth about Barack Obama's SWEEPING victory brought real joy to me. I listened and tears poured down my face, which sounds rather trite but true. What a great day for the world.

It makes me think back to all I have learned about American History, all the shocking stories of the racism endured by Blacks as they broke through the colour barriers. The people that died - this is a country where people lynched other people based solely on the colour of their skin only 50 years ago. It is amazing to witness this piece of history. In a time when there doesn't seem to be much to cheer about, this can give us all some hope.

I was relieved to see that Americans voted with their brains this time. Maybe some of that will rub off on us Canadians in our next election.

I can't get down even 10% of how I feel today, but I just had to write something.

By the way, this would be a great time to read or re-read To Kill A Mockingbird - it is way better now than it was in grade 10 English...

Martin Luther King Jr must be smiling...

1 comment:

The Osbornes said...

Great post, Kelly. Incredible thing to be apart of.... actually here to witness!!