Sunday, January 6, 2008

The Trials And Tribulations Of The Sweet Potato




Yesterday I decided it was time to introduce Nathaniel to the exciting world of real food, since I don't consider rice flakes to be the height of culinary delight. I dug out my Christmas present from the ever wonderful Kristi on making baby food and went to work. In about an hour and a half, I had made from about $5 worth of fresh produce about $40 of baby food. I actually quite enjoyed pureeing the morning away. When I had all of my food divided up in ice cube trays and special little plastic containers, I was quite impressed by all the shades of yellows and oranges.

As I was making the food, it was nice to know no one else had touched my baby's food or added anything to it. Not to say I will never buy store bought baby food, but there was a content feeling to know there wasn't a discontented labourer in a canning factory scratching his ass while inspecting baby food jars.

That reminds me of when I had the illustrious job of being a "sandwich artist" in high school and my boss installed a surveillance camera due to a number of incidences involving employees and money missing. At our next staff meeting, he was pleased to tell us that he had never seen so many people scratch their ass and wipe their nose with their hand in a four hour shift. After having worked many years around food, I don't trust any one's hygiene while working for minimum wage.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: