Saturday, July 14, 2007

Strep Crotch

I had read about how you are tested for strep in the last month of your pregnancy but I had never heard exactly how the testing was done until I went to the obstetrician last week. By the way, I think that one of you moms could have mentioned this to me!!!!!!!!!

I did the usual stuff-got weighed, blood pressure, fetal heart beat, etc then the nurse said we were going to do the test for strep. Having read a fair amount about this, I cockily nodded my head and added a few slightly pompous comments about it.

The nurse then pulled out this super long Q-tip in a plastic sleeve and said it was a vaginal/rectal exam. I thought that she was giving me a choice of where to stick this thing and in my head I was thinking, "What kind of a weirdo would choose the rectal option?!" It took about another 90 seconds of conversation before I realized this was not a multiple choice question. Iain looked at me and said with a smarmy voice, "Have fun with that" and headed back to the waiting room. As I made the lonely walk to the bathroom, I had two thoughts running through my mind, "Ouch" and "Can I even reach my asshole?".

I decided to pee in the bottle first, which suddenly seemed rather fun in comparison-who really cares about a little urine on the hand? Then I stuck the Q-tip up the va-jay-jay, took a deep breath and started probing.

Let's just say there is no doubt when you find the right spot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

its about time, ive been bored for days waiting for another post. AND AGAIN...WHERE THE BLOODY HELL ARE THE PHOTOS OF YOU?!?!?!?!

Anonymous said...

oh and i would have mentioned that test to you but they dont do it here. I asked about it after reading about it in one of those dumb bibles but my midwife said it was a pointless test as one day you can be positive and the next negative....? whatever one less intrusion was fine with me.