Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Nadeem Aslam - Maps For Lost Lovers


I loved this book-it is beautifully written, challenges you and opens your eyes at the same time. The story is set in England and revolves around a Pakistani community, more specifically a devout Muslim woman who is married to non-practicing Muslim man. The man's brother and his girlfriend are murdered which sets the events rolling that the story evolves from. This is not a murder mystery (I hate those)-instead it is a tale of all the different kinds of loves there are in our lives. My favourite parts of this novel were the sections that challenged the way I think, especially the inherent racism that lies in everyone.

You have to enjoy a book that uses lines like this to discipline children, "If you don't be careful, I will give you to a white person and you will be fed pork for the rest of your life".

This book is hilarious and heartbreaking.

I was also completely fooled by the author. I assumed it was a woman all the way to the end, then I flipped to the last page and it was a young guy. It took me about 10 minutes to get over that.

Also, if you are an English teacher, this is a great resource to use on how to write similes beyond, "Her hair was as black as the night". At first I thought the similes were overused then I just decided to enjoy them because they are incredibly well done.

Plus there is the added bonus of learning some very interesting things about moths.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: